Thursday, August 04, 2005

Open Source: you gotta learn from it!

I really enjoy Paul's articles, he writes about many things. But one thing that struck me is his commment in this article is:

"The same happens with writing. As we got close to publication, I found I was very worried about the essays in Hackers & Painters that hadn't been online. Once an essay has had a couple thousand page views I feel reasonably confident about it. But these had had literally orders of magnitude less scrutiny. It felt like releasing software without testing it.

That's what all publishing used to be like. If you got ten people to read a manuscript, you were lucky. But I'd become so used to publishing online that the old method now seemed alarmingly unreliable, like navigating by dead reckoning once you'd gotten used to a GPS.


As I'm writing my book and I'm just over 27,000 words, I'm wondering about what Paul states. What should I do? Open Source my book? Put things online for others to view? I'm at a loss at the moment, but maybe over time it will become clearer.

One thing I will say, I'm doing what Paul says to do here about Star Ups Here's what Paul states that I'm writing about

to start with good people, to make something customers actually want, and to spend as little money as possible.

I'm hoping my book is a best seller then. With over 150,000 businesses just in the state of Colorado, you just never know.

No comments: