Wednesday, December 20, 2006

What saying Merry Christmas and others mean to me

I work with the public and there has been a lot of commentary recently about whether one that works for or with the public should say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays, or some other form of holiday greeting. But what most people are not realizing is that when I say Merry Christmas it is MY expression to YOU of what I wish for YOU! It is MY gift to You!

When I say Merry Christmas it is because that is what I celebrate and I'd like you to have a Merry Christmas, too! It's my expression to you, but guess what? You do not have to receive it, just as if I offer you a gift, encouragement, or even a compliment, you do NOT have to accept it, you can politely turn it down or say nothing at all. And I would not be bothered by it other than wondering if things are not going well with you and maybe I could help.

On the other hand, if you are Jewish and respond to my Merry Christmas with Happy Hanukkah I consider that your comment is YOUR expression of what you believe in and I'm not offended by it. In fact, if you responded with a Happy Hanukkah after my Merry Christmas then I'd be more than happy to say "Thank You" for expressing your faith to me.

So, in the future, if you are offended by my saying Merry Christmas, and I think you'd be the minority, then don't say anything at all and just walk away. Or better yet, say what postive message you'd return so that I can participate in your good tidings.

Oh, here's a link to 350 ways to say Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and those around you.

No comments: