Friday, December 08, 2006

Jeane Kirkpatrick, RIP, her 1984 speech to Republican Convention as a Democrat

Jeane Kirkpatrick's death today is sad for America because we've lost a very smart lady. But here's a speech she gave in 1984 that gives light to how far down the slippery slope we've gone. Here's what she started speech with:

Thank you very much for that warm welcome.

Thank you for inviting me.

This is the first Republican Convention I have ever attended.

I am grateful that you should invite me, a lifelong Democrat. On the other hand, I realize that you are inviting many lifelong Democrats to join this common cause.

I want to begin tonight by quoting the speech of the president whom I very greatly admire, Harry Truman, who once said to the Congress:

"The United States has become great because we, as a people, have been able to work together for great objectives even while differing about details."

He continued:

"The elements of our strength are many. They include our democratic government, our economic system, our great natural resources. But, the basic source of our strength is spiritual. We believe in the dignity of man."

That's the way Democratic presidents and presidential candidates used to talk about America.


Twenty two years and we're still going down this route.

No comments: