Thursday, February 15, 2007

Loyalty! Loyalty to what?

I recently had a discussion with someone about loyatly. Now the dictionary describes loyatly as: the quality of being loyal to someone or something. If you are loyal to your county then it means that you'rel loyal to it's constitution and the priciples that it holds dear. But the sad part is that some in the business world want you to be loyal to their company and they misconstrue that disagreement with company leadership is being disloyal. But too often the label of being disloyal is really about disagreeing with the various aspects of decisions, policies, etc concerning a company, not being disloyal.

As has been bantered about in businsss magazines, if you begin to believe your own press releases, you're way too serious and are in danger of heading toward the "business loony-toon" of what people will believe about you and your organization.

I, personally, believe that we should be loyal to the Truth, and to our country and to an organization that follows ethical principles. I am a sinner just like the next person, but I try to maintain high standards and not to fall into the sinner trap of saving myself for myself sake and standing up for Truth. When our government or any organization seeks to deviate from these norms, I'll defend what is right and may not go on an offensive to right something, but at some point we all need to be counted for doing what's right.

Years ago, I got this revelation from a boss I had in the military. He expected loyalty from those that worked for him. Knowing what this person was about, his insecurity showed in everthing he did and to those around him. Loyalty is earned, just like respect. But understand, even if loyalty is earned be aware that loyalty that is earned can go wrong as time goes on. So, when those in authority expect you to be loyal, tell them that you are loyal to the truth and that being disagreeing is not being disloyal. Why? Because if I tell you what you want to hear I'll lying to you and if you make decisions about something based on my input, then you'll make good decisions on bad info. But once I've told you my thoughts and you understand them and you make a decision, I'll do my best to implement what you want done.

So, if you want me to be loyal to you, then make sure you want the Truth about things and don't "skew" what I'm telling you to try and trick me into what you're thinking. This is manipulation, not good leadership.

No comments: